Remarks at the Opening of Bazaarvoice
(as prepared for delivery)
Technopolis Penta, Ozo g. 12A,Vilnius
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
Minister Sinkevicius, Mayor Šimašius, Mr. Rohrlick, Mantas, Dub, ladies and gentlemen, it is indeed a pleasure for me to be here with you today.
I’m honored to be celebrating the arrival of another U.S. company to Lithuania. The arrival of Bazaarvoice demonstrates the strong and growing ties between our countries’ innovation and technology sectors.
Earlier this year, I had the honor of conferring the second U.S-Lithuania innovation awards that highlighted scientific and technological cooperation. Today shows another commercial application of these relationships.
Bazaarvoice is working to improve the online relationship between retailers and customers, which could foster even more commercial activity between our two countries. It’s precisely this kind of innovation and ingenuity that are hallmarks of America’s entrepreneurial culture.
During the recent summit in Washington, D.C. between President Trump and the heads the Baltic countries, a parallel business summit attracted over 400 participants from the private sector and government. Since then, we have seen a new impetus for expanding trade and investment in both of our countries.
Bazaarvoice is the latest example of a win-win model that provides mutual benefits to our two countries increasing job opportunities and opening new markets for American and Lithuanian companies.
– Bazaarvoice provides a good example of the types of innovative companies that are attracted to Lithuania as it modernizes laws like the new Labor Code, and implements new transparency, anticorruption, and tax regulations enacted as part of joining the OECD.
– All of these changes mean that foreign companies, be they exporters, importers, or investors, will see Lithuania as a more reliable business partner.
– Bazaarvoice also brings with it a culture of corporate social responsibility – giving back to its community.
- sponsors staff volunteering activities such as “B:Generous Week,”
- holds annual Office Choice Awards to direct company donations to local non-profits,
- provides employees with points to redeem for charitable donations, and
- matches employee contributions to worthy causes –
- all recognition that successful businesses do best when supporting successful communities.
Much of my time is devoted to promoting strong commercial relations between the U.S. and Lithuania. I am always happy when a new business comes to Lithuania to strengthen our bilateral commercial relationship.
I hope that we will continue to see growth of these kinds of businesses in both of our countries, which will benefit business, workers and consumers on both sides of the Atlantic.