Location: Vilnius – Lithuanian Parliament (Seimas).
Event: A permit has been granted for a demonstration on Thursday, January 13, starting at 12:00 pm alongside the commemoration of Defenders of Freedom Day outside the Lithuanian Parliament, Seimas. The anticipated demonstration may have up to 1,000 participants and is directed against the Lithuanian government’s measures to contain COVID-19. The police have implemented additional security measures to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take with Demonstrations:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- Always carry your passport and ID
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Lithuanian media at the following:
- Delfi English https://en.delfi.lt
- Baltic Times https://www.baltictimes.com
- LRT https://www.lrt.lt/en/news-in-english
- U.S. Embassy Vilnius, Lithuania +(370) (5) 266-5600
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(370) (5) 266 5500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Lithuania Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.