Location: Vingis Park, Vilnius
Event: A demonstration called the “Family Defense March” is planned for Saturday, May 15, between 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. The event will take part in Vingis Park and it is expected to draw up to 10,000 people.
The demonstration is expected to be peaceful and the Vilnius police are aware and taking precautions. However, even peaceful demonstrations can become confrontational and escalate quickly.
Actions to Take with Demonstrations:
- Avoid the areas of demonstrations
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Lithuanian media at the following:
- U.S. Embassy Vilnius, Lithuania +(370) (5) 266-5600
- Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(370) (5) 266 5500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Lithuania Country Information Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.