Locations: Vilnius – Jonas Basanavicius Monument on Gates of Dawn Street and Lukiskes Square.
Event: A permit has been granted for a march on Wednesday, February 16, starting at 1800 hours at the Jonas Basanavicius Monument on Gates of Dawn Street and proceeding to Lukiskes Square. The anticipated march has been organized by a Lithuanian nationalist political group and is planned to coincide with State Restoration Day. It may include large groups of participants carrying torches. The police have implemented additional security measures to ensure public safety.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas of the march
- Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Keep a low profile
- Notify friends and family of your safety
- Always carry your passport and ID
U.S. Citizens may monitor English-Language Lithuanian media at the following:
- Delfi Englishhttps://en.delfi.lt
- Baltic Timeshttps://www.baltictimes.com
- U.S. Embassy Vilnius, Lithuania +(370) (5) 266-5600
- Emergency After Hours Telephone +(370) (5) 266-5500
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Lithuania Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.