United States Embassy Vilnius, Lithuania
Security Message for U.S. Citizens
March 23, 2016
The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to potential risks of travel to and throughout Europe following several terrorist attacks, including the March 22 attacks in Brussels claimed by ISIL. Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.
U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals and events.
U.S. citizens should also:
– Follow the instructions of local authorities, especially in an emergency.
– Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
– Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
– Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
– Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
European governments continue to guard against terrorist attacks and conduct raids to disrupt plots. We work closely with our allies and will continue to share information with our European partners that will help identify and counter terrorist threats.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Lithuania Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Lithuania, located at Akmenu 6, Vilnius, Lithuania LT-03106 , at +(370) (5) 266-5600, 10:00 am to 12:00 p.m.and 2:00 to 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday and 10:00 am to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 to 3:00 pm on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(370) (5) 266 5500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
Note: The timestamp on this e-mail message may reflect Washington, D.C., time, which may differ from local time.