The recent announcement that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. U.S. Embassy Vilnius reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information regarding Lithuania and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Lithuania Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Lithuania, located at Akmenu 6, Vilnius, Lithuania LT-03106 , at +(370) (5) 266-5600, 10:00 am to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 to 4:00 pm Monday through Thursday and 10:00 am to 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 to 3:00 pm on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(370) (5) 266 5500.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.