As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240 which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in posession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

To make an appointment for U.S. citizen services, please click here.

Citizenship transmission requirements vary according to the date of birth. At present a child born to two American citizen parents abroad automatically acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if one of the parents has resided in the U.S. or its outlying possessions before the birth of the child. A child born to one American citizen parent may acquire U.S. citizenship if the American parent meets the transmission requirement of having resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years, two of which were after attaining the age of 14, prior to the birth of the child.

To register the birth of your child, you should come to the Consular Section.  To make an appointment, please click here. The child should be present at the interview. While passport applicants are welcome to fill out their applications in the Consular Section, we encourage our applicants to fill out and print their applications before coming for their appointment.

Documents you should bring with you:

  • CRBA application form DS-2029
  • the Lithuanian birth certificate
  • the parents’ marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • the parents’ passports
  • if only one parent is an American citizen: that parent’s proof of 5 years presence in the U.S. (tax returns, pay stubs, educational transcripts and diplomas, prior passports showing entries and   exits to the United States, etc.)
  • If either of the parents was married previously, evidence of the termination of the previous marriage or marriages must be presented (a divorce or annulment decree or a death certificate)
  • The fee for this service is $100.

After presenting all the necessary documents, you will receive a Report of Birth Abroad, which will serve as the child’s proof of U.S. citizenship.

For general information about CRBAs, click here.

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the Transmission Requirements Table below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence. Please also read important information regarding Supporting Documents.