LPRs Abandoning Their Legal Resident Status

If you wish to abandon your LPR status, you must file Form I-407 Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).

Form I-407 cannot be filed in the United States. It has to be submitted outside the U.S. either directly in a location with a USCIS international field office (uscis.gov/international) or by mail to the nearest USCIS international field office .

Documents required for filing Form I-407 by mail outside of the United States:

  • Completed and signed Form I-407;
  • Form I-551 (LPR card or Green card), if available. If not available, the appropriate box should be checked on your Form I-407;
  • All other USCIS issued booklets and cards, if applicable:
  • If Form I-407 is filed on behalf of a minor who is 17 or younger, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form. The relationship (certificate of birth or court documents on adoption) and identity (passport or ID card) of the persons signing for the minor should be clear and certain.  If there is only one parent, guardian or custodian, proof (death certificate, custody decree, guardianship papers) must be submitted demonstrating that the person filing is indeed the sole decision maker for the child, and Form I-407 must be completed accordingly.

For more information please review Form I-407 Instruction page.

Consular Section in Vilnius, Lithuania, may be able to accept I-407 and supporting documents only in very rare exceptional circumstances, such as when a representative of a foreign government or international organization (visa classification A or G) must surrender LPR status to receive a nonimmigrant visa. In these cases Consular Section should be contacted directly by ConSec@state.gov. In all other circumstances the above provided guidelines should be followed.

Please note:

Subsequent to abandonment of your LPR status, if you want to travel to the U.S., you must apply for a non-immigrant visa (lt.usembassy.gov) or for an ESTA (www.cbp.gov). Please do not attempt to travel without any document.